Although it’s mid-summer, and school may be the farthest thing from our mind, it’s a great time to get a jump on that back-to-school checklist. Those lazy days of summer have a tendency to slip quickly by, leaving you in a mad dash to get everything done in time. Why not head into fall prepared and confident that your student is ready to go, making the transition from summer to school is a smooth one?
Here are a few tips for getting back-to-school ready:
- Assess where you stand.If you set a financial goal to save for school expenses as a New Year’s resolution, now is a great time to check in on that progress. Ask yourself: How much have I saved? Am I on track for my goals? Or am I behind? Not quite where you thought you’d be? Talk to one of USAgencies’ Member Service Reps about tools that can help you save, including account alerts, direct deposit, or which savings product might help you best reach your goals.
- Ensure your student has access to funds. For some students, this may be their first time with their own bank account- others may be old pros. Whatever the case may be, getting your student set up with an account from USAgencies will ensure they have many ways to access the funds they need. With everything from our easy-to-use mobile app, to Shared Branching, to the thousands of surcharge free ATMs across the country, your student will be sure to be able to connect to their money when & where they want. One feature parents especially enjoy- account-to-account transfers inside Online Banking.
- Keep track. Using credit and debit cards can sometimes make it easy to lose track of what you spend. Using a budgeting program–like MoneyMark from USAgencies’ Online Banking–can help you stay on track of your monthly expenses. You can even use the Cashflow Calendar feature this July & August to win some extra cash! Learn more about how this promotion can help you stay on track of money coming in and going out, plus even help bring in a little extra if you win!
- Check in with your school’s financial aid office. All schools have different requirements when it comes to financial aid. Make sure that your school has an updated version of your FAFSA and that everything is in order for the upcoming school year so your student’s financial aid is not delayed.
- Refinance to a lower rate & help save. If you haven’t checked in with USAgencies to see if we can reduce your auto, home or credit card rate, it’s worth a look. Reducing your interest rate can save you hundreds of dollars over the life of your loan. Contact us to see how we can put more cash in your wallet at the end of the month.
- Explore transportation options. Car, motorcycle or bike, USAgencies can help your student get wherever they’re going with a low-interest loan, flexible terms and easy-pay options, like direct deposit. Your Credit Union has an Aspire Auto Loan option for those with little or no credit, too. A transportation loan could be a great way to help you get your student’s credit history started on a positive note.
- Look into a responsible private education loan. As college costs continue to rise, more students are in need of private student loans to fill the gap financial aid doesn’t cover. USAgencies partners with Sallie Mae to offer the Smart Option Student Loan to help cover education expenses. With the Smart Option Student Loan, you can take advantage of some of the lowest private education loan rates in the nation, and you can choose repayment options to help pay off your loan faster than with a conventional private loan.
- Check out a low-interest Signature loan. If your student needs another resource for paying for the ever-rising cost of books, school supplies, athletic gear, etc. consider applying for a low-interest unsecured personal loan. This July & August, USACU is offering a loan special on Signature loans – with up to 1.25% off already low rates! Learn more here.
- Consider asecured Visa card for those unexpected expenses. The credit limit on a Secured Visa Gold card is protected by funds in your savings account — it’s the perfect tool to help students establish good credit. Have a student with a little more credit history? Check out our Visa Platinum card- it offers rewards (1 point for each $1 in purchases) that you can use towards travel, merchandise or a better interest rate on a certificate or auto loan with us. Another benefit of the Visa Platinum- USAgencies invests 5% of the net income from our Visa Platinum cards into charitable giving programs. Last year we contributed almost 21 thousand dollars to back into the community that we serve. Learn more about our Community Giving Program
Many don’t want to start thinking about back to school already, especially in the midst of these beautiful long summer days. However, back to school finances can creep up on you quickly, so planning ahead pays off. This list is a good starting place, but if you should need any help along the way USACU, your Trusted Financial Service Provider of Choice, is here to help you in any way we can. Give us a call or stop by, and we can help you make back-to-school a breeze this year.
Do you have any savvy back to school shopping tricks you use to save money every year?